Re: [RC] [RC] Non-pacing TWH Bloodlines - Soli Sorokin

The thing  is, that a good number of those trail horses are show barn
rejects. Sure, they can make a good trail horse, but any thoughts
regarding gait quality, hoof and leg conformation, and overall
athletic abilities for the trail were not factored in to the decision
to breed them.

Secondary to that is that by buying show barn rejects (who are usually
sold through a secondary "trail horse dealer") you are indirectly
supporting the Big Lick industry. By looking for "WGC" in a pedigree,
you are lending credence to the lack of standards in the TWH show
industry.

Sure, you can save a horse or two, but folks need to remember that no
one person can "Save Them All." And in fact, by adding your money to
the industry by buying these horses, you are only allowing them to
breed that many more.  It's far better to spend your money where
people are making an effort to produce the type of horse that excels
in what you want to do.

That said, I've found a small handful of good horses here in
Tennessee. All were backyard or cattle farm bred, none have even
remote affiliation with the show industry, aside from a few ancestors
a few generations back in the pedigree.  And for the handful of good
ones I've found, there are hundreds I've looked at that didn't cut it.

So, I have to support Amber for the most part by saying that Tennessee
is not necessarily the best place to find a walker for endurance. Yes,
they're here, but the risk factor is a bit higher, especially if you
don't have the time and resources to spend.

Of course, me saying this is probably not the wisest thing, since I'm
in Tennessee, and occasionally have something for sale. The only
difference being is if I'm selling something, it's less about the
money and more about finding a home that wants what I have and what I
value in a horse. I'd rather see nice horses be used than sit in my
fields, after all, but if I don't find a good home, they'll remain in
my field until I do.

~S