Re: [RC] [RC] Pacing - Soli Sorokin

It's my guess that a lot of the "really nice trots" on horses that
sometimes and have paced, are most likely foxtrots, which are
considered a form of gaiting. Instead of both diagonals hitting at the
same time, there is a slight offset, which makes it more comfortable
to ride. It's often hard to identify a foxtrot without photos, the
offset can be very slight and still produce a more comfortable ride.

A foxtrot is my favorite gait - secure, fast, smooth.  The handful of
walkers I've gathered will do a comfortable running walk, a foxtrot as
an extended intermediate gait, and a very nice canter. I do avoid
strong pacers because although it can be trained out of them to a
degree, they are generally less sure-footed and less likely to be able
to canter properly - at least in my experience. I also allow  my
gaited horses that do a real trot, to do so at times - I like variety.

To those who like the pace...I cannot...just cannot imagine that you
are actually riding a full pace and enjoying it. A stepping pace will
have the side to side sway, and is a LOT less jarring - often even
smooth. But,  there is nothing smooth about a full pace.