Re: [RC] [RC] Gaited 1/2 Arabs - Dawn Carrie

Lucky -
What are/were the bloodlines of your gaited Arabian stallions?  We had a gaited Arab gelding...lost him to a freak accident last year at age 31.  He would do what I referred to as a running walk...someone who had TWHs identified it as a 4-beat gait...can't remember what she called it.  But it was definitely some kind of gait...extremely fast, and just awesome to ride.  He was very, very heavy Raffles breeding...a little guy, barely 14.2h, and most of that was withers.  Stocky, with a big powerful hip.

Someone else on this thread mentioned that horses that were not allowed to jig would sometimes start to gait...that was the case with Raffey...he was all "go" even at 31, and would often jig and prance if not allowed to trot or canter.  He started gaiting 4 or 5 years before his death, when I was riding him bareback, and on the way back to the house, he started jigging...I would halt him briefly, and then let him go on...he quickly figured out that I would let him go as fast as he wanted, as long as there was no bounce...and boy could he fly!  He was something else...one of a kind.  I miss that old guy...

Dawn Carrie