Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Rushcreek Branding

Contact the agricultural department in the state from which the horse came (where he was bred and registered) and they should be able to identify the brand.  It might be possible to go online and find this, too, but I'm not certain.  The location alone helps a lot.  Our brand can be used only on the right hip, because that is what it is registered for.  If we wanted, we could pay to have our brand registered for anywhere on the entire right side, and no one in California could use our brand on the right side of an animal but us.  If someone saw our Walking L on the right side, they would find out who the animal belonged to or where it was bred.  So far, we haven't had any reason to command the right side, any location, for our brand.  The right hip serves us just fine.  But if you ever saw a bovine with a Walking L brand on the right hip, you would think..."Aha!  That cow (bull, calf) came from Big Creek Ranch.  I suppose there may be Walking L brand, right hip, in other states, but not in CA. It's ours and ours alone.
That's why it's important to have a registered brand for livestock.  If we bred horses instead of cattle, we would likely brand them, too.  It's like engraving your name on your camera, TV set, or whatever.  Should it be stolen, it could be traced.  And don't mistake...livestock theft still exists.

Barbara