[RC] shoes and slipping - Tx Trigger

I also will agree that it is not always the "hoofwear" or lack there of that causes slipping or lack of slipping. I had an Arab gelding that I also drove to the carriage. We would trot all around the streets of our So. CA neighborhood, on all types of pavement, concrete, up and down some fairly steep hills, what ever we came across, and he would never slip. He wore standard steel shoes, I think St. Croix Eventers. My other gelding, who was barefoot at the time could hardly walk 1/2 a block on the same streets without about falling. Feet went every which way.  One was SO sure footed, had been shod all his life, and was a mid to late teen when we started driving. The other just was not the best on his feet. He slipped shod, or barefoot.  It may make a difference on some horses, but not "all" shod horses slip more, and not "all" barefoot horses are more sure footed....
Jonni