[RC] [RC] Panacur - Older horse - Patti

From: "Danelle Jones" < dnell.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Panacur - Older horse

Hi Everyone,

I've been trolling the archives and would like to ask for specific advise
RE: Older horses.

My boy's 16, I'm keen to do the purge and I have an 'unknown' worming
history for the last 11 months...

This is a protocol one of the Equine Cushings list members developed for her rescue for a "gentle" approach to avoid toxins from a heavy worm kill - as you know some history, you could probably be more aggressive.

In EquineCushings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, PNP4KIDZ@xxxx wrote:
I wanted to add just a note about what I have done with the
starvation horses we have rescued....
I have fed them all pelleted  low sugar hay pellets with beet pulp
for  a few days, until I see they are making manure... and peeing...
then I do a worming... generally I do a single Panacur first, it is
the  "lowest kill" and won't make them so sick if they are very wormy...
then, two weeks later, if all is going well, I do an ivermectin, then I go to
a month, and do double strongid (tapes), then the next round is an Ivermectin
again, and then a Panacur power pack. I keep them on a monthly worming
schedule for at  least 6 months, if not a year... rotating, and getting at
least one double  strongid in, and one panacur powerpak.

I have had their teeth done as soon as they were well enough for
the  sedation too, which allowed me to migrate off of the pelleted hay to
the regular hay... but I then keep a bowl of hay pellets and beet pulp coming
twice a  day....
I've had great success with this "plan"... putting on weight slowly
but steadily.

Beth, Sally,  Apricot, Joey, Dakota, and Midnight
Founder Rehab Ranch
Clayton,  CA

Patti K
Vail AZ