[RC] Huginn, after the EXAMs update on 7/5 - Debbie Kirchner

Raven Called about an hour ago, she is Exhausted, we talked for about
20 minutes about the day as she was driving home, here is the report,
I hope I have all the details correct, I was watering the Garden while
we chatted...

They did the scope in every opening he has, they Exrayed him from head
to tail and Ultra sounded him as well. They were very thorough as
every student, intern, resident, Vet, Vet tech, etc who could be there
was watching the procedures. Along with Raven.

Raven said they shaved him completely, she said, "He is NAKED!" She
wants them to put a sheet on him... the Vet was not sure if they
would, but they will monitor him every hour, on the hour, if they feel
he needs one, they will put it on...

OK, here is what they found, Swollen Lymph nodes, very swollen Lymph
nodes.. HUGE... they found one pocket of pus and got a smear from
that, I can not remember where it was, in his throat I think... They
checked everywhere for masses and or infection, they could not find
any mass anywhere on or in his body to biopsy and only the one site of
infection.

He still does not have a snotty nose, his temp is looking good, she
did not mention Banamine today.

They said he is not presenting TYPICAL strangles symptoms, Nor are
there any Masses to biopsy to confirm Cancer...

So still the rollar coaster continues

So, here is what they are going to do, keep him there until Sunday,
they want him on 5 days of the antibiotics, one is Gram Positive, the
other is Gram Negative... so it should get everything.

Then they will send him home on Sterroids to help with the swallen
Lymph nodes and more Antibiotics for her to give him...

They said that there was no way to tell for sure without something to
Biopsey if he has Cancer...

But, they are still not sure if it is Cancer or Bastard Strangles
presenting itself in a very atypical mannor.

The vet said, "If it is Cancer, Being exposed to a horse with a
bacterial infection/sick horse excelerated the process, otherwise it
could have been years before it would have effected him."

If it is only Strangles, ( man, I can not believe I just used those
two words right next to each other ) then, the two antibiotics, and
steroids should help him, and continued treatment at home.

He has every vet at the hospitol Baffled, because they have never seen
anything like this before.

SO, please Join with me to send Raven, lots of love, because,
honestly, I think she is running on Empty, I Know she is not getting
enough sleep, nor did she eat well today, like not at all.. water is
not food!!! We did have a great meal last night, I know she ate
then!!!  Thank you Raven!!!

She asked me to send this, cause she is Exausted...

Also, A horse was put down today, who had cancer, he had been treated
for strangles since May, He had Lymphoma, Cancer of the Lymph nodes.
He was a 9th grader little girl's buddy,  a Beautiful Black Quarter/TB
cross... He was only 9. it was so sad for Raven, they were crying
together as they talked in the waiting room. She listened and chatted
with them as they told story's about him. He was the little girls
Western and English pleasure horse. Raven felt so bad for her, today
he actually was feeling better today because of the Staroids. He had
been there since Saturday. She said, they said, that this is so hard,
cause we are leaving with an empty trailer.

PS. Dakota is eating, tired today, but eating, sleeping, wagging his tail, I have the air on so he is cool... he is better this afternoon then he was this morning...

Debbie in MN
Huginn's Hospital Fund Website http://iceryder.net/ravenhuginn.html
~ I soar with the Eagles...as I float on the back of my barefoot gaited Morgan ~
Deb's Track system http://picasaweb.google.com/dakota.charm/TrackForHorses