[RC] Skinny mare - Kathleen

4-6 lbs of hay twice a day doesn’t appear to be enough for this lactating mare.  The first step in remediation of underweight horses, IMO, is always free choice hay or pasture.  Most weight problems solve themselves with all the forage the horse will eat.

I would also start her on a gradual program of a fat supplement…easiest is something like Cool Calories (perlated flaked fat).  I prefer fresh ground flax seed…it grinds in seconds in the blender…flax must be stored in a cool dry place (I keep it in a fridge in my barn).  Oils work too, but be careful to add them very gradually or you will give her diarrhea and they MUST also stored in a fridge…oils are messy though.

I would also consider a digestive aid like Dynamite or ABC which will help her utilize her feed better.  I see a real difference in my horses when they are getting probiotics.

Also, have you had her teeth checked?  Maybe she has a sore mouth and isn’t chewing like she should?

Has she had a weight problem in the past or is this new and/or sudden?  If it is a sudden problem, you might consider having some blood work done and a fecal sample analyzed by your vet.

Kathleen