Re: [RC] Inflammation - Sisu West Ranch

I just quickly read the USEF general drug policy, as referenced in a post. I think I now understand what the announcement was trying to say. I don't like the whole USEF drug policy, but the announcement appears to be consistent with the long standing policy.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but here is what I think I read.

1. An "approved" drug may be present in the horses blood or other fluids at levels consistent with relatively short withdrawal periods (example: 12 hours for bute).

2. A forbidden drug may not be present in "detectable" levels. A list of detection times is given, referenced to their lab. Apparently "detectable" levels are not the minute amounts we know can be detected if desired.

3. If a sport desires it may require a stringent "no foreign substances" rule.

4. The new Cox2 inhibitor was added to the list of approved NSAIDs. If it had not been added, any detectable amount would have been forbidden. Apparently, the levels allowed are consistent with the levels of Bute etc. allowed.

My bottom line is: I am not happy with the USEF drug policy, but the current announcement is no different than their long standing policies. Perhaps we shouldn't get our knickers in a twist about this unless we already have them twisted over the whole USEF drug policy.

Ed

ps. I still think we (the AERC) should do more to attempt to influence the USEF, but I am not holding my breath that this will ever happen.
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640