[RC] feed, follow the old mare thru a week - Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS

In our area selenium is pretty good in the hay and soil and natural water sources.  If you follow my old mare thru a week on her pasture and trail, she eats, some dogwood leaves, some oak leaves, some bluestem, Bermuda, lesbadeisa (sp a legume somewhat like alfalfa) she’ll drag me to sunflowers and blackeyed susans, wild oats and broom grass especially in the winter when dry.  she rubs moss off rocks and licks the ‘soil’ below, she picks different puddles some pretty muddy and filters the water thru her lips sipping.  She takes staulky weeds and tender branches from trees and knaws on them with her jaw teeth and spits them out….  I think it’s some sort of natural floating she does.

So you got well water, ponds and puddles  and all that in your pasture you probably got everything they need.  She turned 28 a couple months ago.  I do give her a treat of a 7% all grain, she did one LD and near 1000 miles of CTR after she turned 22.