Re: [RC] galls in front of the girth on a young horse - Don Huston

Hello Kathleen,
You did not mention if you are using a breast collar. On one of my horses I caused rubbing or galling in front of the girth when I had the breast collar too tight. Another thing it could just be that this young horse needs more time between rides to let the skin heal and toughen up. As far as girths, I too have used many different types over the years and then about 8 years ago I tried this elastic girth http://www.profchoice.com/htmldocs/prd/english/prd/dg.html and it worked great. I have since converted my 3 saddles to use this girth and it has been the best. It stretches with the horses movement and has never caused them any problems and the saddle stays quite secure without being too tight. As with most of my horse equipment I found that for my use this cinch needed some "improvements" so if you decide to try this cinch feel free to email me and I will send you some pictures of how I improved it. Good luck,
Don Huston