Re: [RC] [RC] brio & CRI - Dawn Carrie

I think that it depends on the horse, as with any breed.  My husband does 50s on his Paso Fino gelding.  Diamante has plenty of brios...he can be hot as a firecracker, and lives to fly down the trail.  But he has learned his job well.  He knows that when he comes into a vet check it's time to chill out.  He relaxes right away and pulses down quickly...he can (and has) in fact out-recover many Arabs.  And, he will tell my husband when he needs a little break on the trail...he's not a horse who will run himself into the ground, although he will continue on if asked, even when he has indicated he'd like a break (such as when we're only 1/2 mile from camp or some such).  One has to learn his subtle signals.  He eats and drinks like a champ, both in camp and on the trail.

So I think Paso temperaments and behavior varies from horse to horse, just like with other breeds.  FWIW, Diamante didn't start out like this...in the beginning, he was like a sports car with the throttle wide open...wanting to go full speed the whole ride.  My husband had to do all of the thinking for the two of them.  <G>  As he learned the sport, he figured out the ground rules and how things work.  He's extremely smart, and quickly learns how to work things to his advantage.  He is very well suited to the sport...when on trail he's all business, very forward and having fun...come into a vet check, and he immediately switches into relax mode, ready to "take 5" and refuel and rest, getting ready for the next loop.

Dawn Carrie