Re: [RC] Bactrim ?? - Von Simson, Cristiano

Bactrim is sulfamethoxazole+trimethoprim for humans. The equivalent horse product would be Tribissen (Sulfadiazine+Trimethoprin) (Schering Plough).

Cristiano

From: "Julie Gelderman" <Julie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: [RC]   Bactrim ??

I'd be very careful in using Bactrim on horses.  It hasn't been cleared by the regulating agencies and one of the horses in my barn almost died from an allergic reaction to it.  I think there are a lot of other antibiotics out there that work better.  The allergic reaction theme with horses seems to be too often and pretty severe.

Julie Gelderman