[RC] Sun protection - Karen Everhart

I am stumped.  I have 4 horses needing sun protection on their noses.  In the past I have successfully used generic zinc oxide ointment but this year, I apply it and within minutes they are rubbing it off on any surface available; grasses, fences, etc.  So, I decided to try a well known and expensive sunblock SPF 50.  Same thing. I cannot use the long-nosed fly masks (my favorite) as they will find a tree somewhere on the 240 acres and catch it or rub it and I will never see it again (there is one out there somewhere now that was rubbed off).

My herd of 24 is out on 240 acres of lush prairie grass 24 X 7, so their noses are in the grass all day long.  We have also been getting a ton of rain the past 30 -40 days, hence cloud cover all day every day, so I am surprised to see the bright red noses.  There is no evidence of allergies or injury, just sunburn.

Any suggestions?

Karen Everhart MEd
President
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082