Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 6:07 AM
Subject: [RC] heat

Does anyone have any 'tricks' on how to stay / get cool enough to go riding during these 90 degree + days?  I'm thinking along the lines of taking cold showers or drinking hot liquids or whatever it is that is supposed to work to cool our temperatures down.  Unfortunately I work in air conditioning all day so the heat and humidity is brutal when I get outside.

--

Kathy

From: Spottedracer@xxxxxx
Once the horses are USED to eating a ration with significant shredded beet pulp in it - you don't HAVE to soak.. Since they've figured out they have to take smaller bites and chew it like hay - unlike what they do with pellets/grains.

When I'm first introducing Shredded beet pulp to a horse/cow - I wet it 'lightly' prior to giving it to them... It starts expending almost immediately, so it's 'pre-expanded' when they first get a bite - instead of them gorging on it (like with pellets/grain) and it expanding within their throats and causing choke problems.  I do this for the first two weeks or so with horses, then slowly add less and less water - until it's dry.. By then, they've figured out HOW to eat it proper! ly..... Now, I'm still wetting it for the cattle..

- LP