Re: [RC] Beet pulp - Kris

Agreed. I've got two horses that have choked on dry beet pulp after they've been on the diet for several years. They're pigs and eat as fast as they can regardless.

Kris
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 8:41 AM
Subject: RE: [RC] Beet pulp

Well that may work for some horses, but not for my mare. She has been eating for 9 years and still has not figured out that she doesn't have to gorge.

At the end of our last 50 we were waiting for the vet and she is literally ripping the hay bag trying to get the hay out fast enough. The VET finally grabbed a handful of hay and said to keep feeding her while he was checking her because she was so ravenous she wouldn't stand still when I took the bag away. He joked that he was "afraid" what she'd do if we got between her and her food. LOL! Needless to say he said her appetite was fine.

So not all horses will LEARN to slow down, especially one that gorges on HAY!

Katrina &
Perle (mom's not going to take another $4000 chance on me)