[RC] Angora lake fire near Lake Tahoe - Mary Maynard

My family has owned a cabin on Fallen leaf lake for over 100 yrs; my great, great Aunt built the cabin. I have lived at the cabin off and on almost every summer since I was an infant. I know for a fact that the fallen leaf fire district has very strict rules about old and dead growth near structures and they are always doing control burns in the forest that surround the lake.. What one needs to remember is that Angora lakes is in Desolation wilderness. This wilderness area is one of the heaviest used recreation areas in Calif.  and that means year round due to it's close proximity to San Francisco and Sacramento and Reno NV. The trails are SUPER busy with day hikers, horse back riders and back packers. There are so many visitors to the area due in part because of it close proximity to Lake Tahoe too. Scores of people that do not understand and respect fire danger travel to this destination. The past 10 years of visits to our cabin I find the area so inundated with people that it is not as enjoyable as when I was younger.

People started this fire. People also tend to dump their garbage all over this once pristine area. The people that live in this community are not usually the ones that disrespect the potential for serious fire danger but the visitors often show no regard. I feel for all those that have lost their homes. So far our cabin has missed the bullet. Everyone regardless of political preference needs to become more responsible for protecting the earth and all the live on it.

Mary Anne Maynard

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more! Check out the New MSN Mobile