RE: [RC] High Corn Prices............ - Kristen A Fisher

Which has now become a circular argument. What started this was a complaint about the cost of feed corn going so high. Someone else mentioned why can't we just live in a nice capitalistic society?

Government mandates on required ethanol usage skew the capitalism part of it because it artificially increases the demand for corn, thus driving up the price. In turn, we are seeing hay fields converted to corn fields, etc etc. We are now seeing the unintended consequences of the ethanol mandates.

While ethanol is a step toward finding energy sources alternative to petroleum, it is not a particularly *positive* step - more like a step sideways.

Although corn ethanol requires about as much energy as it produces, at least it supports our American farmers and our economy.