[RC] overinflated corn prices/oil in shale - heidi larson

Here's a portion of an article I read recently:  (with a
link to the whole thing.)  Inventor is wacky (aren't all
inventors?) but his other inventions, while some are weird,
they seem to do what they claim, firepaste for example!

"So one can only marvel that, against this backdrop of
super-human inspiration to complete the world?s first
bear-proof suit, Troy Hurtubise still found time to solve
the impending global crisis of Peak Oil?or at least hold it
off for several more decades.

Fire Suppressant Agent 333 (FSA 333 for short) was
originally created as a means to put out difficult fires,
such as oil fires. Naturally?because, after all, we?re
talking about Troy Hurtubise here?Diet Coke is one of its
main ingredients. When tested on an oil fire ignited in a
tank of water, however, FSA 333 showed something unusual:
not only did it successfully put out the fire, but it also
drew the oil up to the top of the water. Wondering if this
might be a beneficial property for cleaning up oil spills,
Troy Hurtubise contacted a company in that business, but
was informed that it was not so much the spills in open
water which were troublesome, rather it was when the oil
washed-up on open shoreline that it really became ?a
nightmare?. So our dauntless adventurer mixed some motor
oil into a pail of beach sand. Then he mixed in some FSA
333 and a little cold water and ?lo and behold, it
separated the sand from the water and the oil. The oil
actually floated to the top together with the FSA as a kind
of sludge that you could pick off the top of the water with
a Dixie cup. And clear water is what was left. Clear
water."

While Hurtubise?s claims appear, on the surface, to strain
credulity, he has now placed himself miles ahead in the
quest by high-tech companies to invent something that will
do the same thing.
The experiment got Troy Hurtubise thinking about the
Alberta Oil Sands. As his research would inform him: "They
have enough oil down there to make the big OPEC blocks look
stupid. They can supply us for a long, long, time. The
trouble is they can only extract it using huge treatments
of hot water and steam, and they need huge tailing ponds
because of the dirty, toxic water that's a by-product. And
I can do it with cold water that stays clean." Troy
Hurtubise was so confident in his results he issued a
public challenge to the oil industry. "I don't care who
you've got, but bring a sample of tar sands down and bring
whatever scientist you want and I will pop the oil right
out of the sand in front of him," he said. "Five minutes
with cold water. How do you like that, sweetheart? Then
I'll scoop out some water from the demonstration and drink
it. How's that for biodegradable?"

FSA 333, it seems, was also successful in extracting oil
from shale stone, the largest deposits of which are located
here in the United States. As local North Bay paper The
Nugget reported, ?through his network of contacts, [Troy]
Hurtubise obtained several kilograms of shale rock, crushed
it, heated it to about 200 F, added FSA and cold water,
"and then BANG! You get this huge segment of oil on the
top."?

And that?s when the FBI showed up at his door.

As Troy Hurtubise? tells it: "They say 'you don't
understand Mr. [Troy] Hurtubise. This can change the
balance of power. We are not here to scare or threaten you.
We are saying that you have a wife and child to take care
of and you don't know what you are into'". Evidently the
FBI had determined that FSA 333 might be better looked
after by interests belonging to the United States?.

After that, of course, Troy Hurtubise' life began to
unravel.

"I had break-in after break-in, in the garage and in the
house. The lab was destroyed and there was nothing left.
Whoever the hell did it, it's all gone. My phone has been
tapped, I've been followed regularly, so I took the formula
and just buried it somewhere. Just because I did some
research and made a few calls."

http://deconsumption.typepad.com/deconsumption/2005/01/sometimes_you_e.html

o o          o o
    o_ \ \____   o_ \_\