[RC] Fwd: Bob Marshall vs Hilason - John Teeter

from a digest reader:)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Fred & Cynthia Ross <peanut2@xxxxxxx>
Date: June 24, 2007 7:25:15 AM MDT
Subject: Bob Marshall vs Hilason

How many of you that are putting down the Hilason saddles have actually owned or used one? I have owned neither but HAVE used both. To me they both felt the same to ride in. And seemed the same on the horse. Being worried about the low price, my friend took her Hilason to a local saddle maker and they found nothing wrong or unsafe on the Hilason saddle. My friend that currently owns the Hilason is happy with it and has had no trouble with it at all. She is the same person that previousy owned a Bob Marshall. My friend has a short backed horse and the Bob Marshall is too long and rubbed in the loin area. The Hilason is a bit shorter in length so does not cause this problem. I know another woman that also currently owns one of each. (Hilason and Bob Marshall) She also had to get the Hilason for the shorter length. She is riding a large pony. She has done endurance with each and says she has found little difference in them.

Now, OF COURSE, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. So, the leather my not be of the same quality. But, most of the people I know that are putting these saddles down have never actually used them. It keeps getting said "don't buy a Hilason, they are cheap knock-off's". Yes they are, but that doesn't make them a bad saddle. No one is saying, "I bought one and it broke, or it fell apart, or the stitching came undone ......"

I am NOT recommending the Hilason. Or the Bob Marshall for that matter. My personal opinion was that I didn't care for either saddle. But found both to be safe and functional.