Re: [RC] Hell Bitch - Truman Prevatt

No, it is the Arab blood ;-) . The Hell Bitch only spooked - other than looking a something askew - big once and that was when we came on a rattler that starting singing in the trail right in front of us.

She is two horses. Her sweet self and her evil twin. You get on her and she was off the head off the Yankees at Shiloh. To say she was forward is a laughable understatement. She could also be a absolute joy in base camp. She was up as soon as we got to camp. With her I just waited to check in - avoiding lines. By the checks she was normally settled down - but as we did more rides it took longer and longer her in the ride for her to settle. It got worse after I started doing 100's - as she just got stronger. At one ride at the check at 40 miles the vet looked at me and told me flat out that I was not ridding her fast enough (I was probably about 8 or 9th place at that time) and she better not have that much energy at the finish. I normally had a chain over her nose in camp although it was normally not hooked to the lead rope - but sometimes I had to do that.

Now my Arab on the other hand is a total relaxed horse in camp. He's easy going. He's a little forward but I like a forward horse and he's nowhere near the ripping your arms out at the shoulder blades like the mare. But can he ever spook and does he ever spook. My groin muscles attest to that from the many pulls they have received staying in the saddle when he sees one of his gatorlogs.

The both have warts - just different warts. BTW I've ridden a lot of purebred TWH's in my years and as of yet don't remember riding one that I would consider spooky.

Truman

Spottedracer@xxxxxx wrote:
Must be something about that TWH blood... We believe my Heart's Hope's Dam was an ArabXTWH cross (sire was a registered app - not gaited)...... While she loves people, is wonderful on the ground and great in the arena under beginner-advanced yound students.... Take her on the trail and put her in the front/alone (how I normally train her)... And be prepared to truly 'take flight' about once-a-month! She actually spooks WORSE on the farm trail she's ridden 2X per week for 2 years! And it's always a 'gaterlog' - different 'gaterlogs' - and more likely on the way BACK to the farm - after she's already passed it once!!!

Although I usually blame the Arab grandparent.... he, he, he.... Maybe she'll get over it by age ten?

- LP

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics