[RC] How it looks (was: Pull codes, etc.) - k s swigart

Sandy said:

From all the emails all I can gather is that
some people are too sensitive to how their
horse's marks make them look. Help me
here, because I didn't know that that was
part of what AERC was about...I don't get
the problem I guess.

Pretty much the ONLY reason the AERC keeps records and publishes them
(and gives awards to participants and public banquets) is because people
are sensitive to how their horse's marks make them look.

Recently, the AERC has been making noises about using the information
collected to do research about the capabilities of horses, and some
people have (and will continue to) use the information about specific
rides and riders to see if they want to do a ride themselves and
formulate a strategy for it.  But mostly it is about recognition (either
good or bad) for the performances of individuals.

So mostly, people care about how it looks to whoever is reading it.  And
the AERC would do well to recognize this, since the publication of its
records is one of the few tools that the AERC has with respect to reward
or punishment for different types of behaviour at endurance rides (the
only other one it has is to deny entry to future rides).

If people didn't care about how their records look, then there would be
no reason for publishing the information with names attached to it.

kat
Orange County, Calif.