[RC] Truman was right - kind've... - Spottedracer

Well, you were right that most gaited horses will start trotting when you push them past 50's.... Ever since I tried those Epics on the front of my Chestnut - and she trotted for the first time in her life - she's been trotting more-and-more... Last 60mile training ride I did on her - I think she trotted most of it... OUCH!!

After trail riding with the Racking Commish. Who CONFIRMED that the Bay mare was going into the nicest fast Tolt she'd ever seen - and also confirmed that the Chestnut I was ponying was 'Trottin' like a bastard'... I've had to change the chestnut's training.. The ol' saying: 'Take two steps back to get one step foreward' is so true!

Racking Commish recommended trying one of several methods (remember, she's had world championships in everything from Big-lick, to flat-shod performance, jump, barrels, etc..): Weighted shoes on the hind, or chains on the hind - basically, need to get the hind to extend and overreach to bring her back into a faster, smooth rack....... Now, my theory (since I know NOTHING about training with weighted shoes and/or chains - and don't care to learn, either....)... Is that the Epics worked GREAT to extend the stride of my Bay mare in the FRONT (just like weights...) - so next time the farrier comes to reset the Chestnut's shoes, we'll pull the Hind shoes off - and I'll train her with Epic 'weights' on her rear...

Also, I went back to the training method that worked wonderfully with the BaY (who naturally trotted 90% of the time - now gaits continually under saddle - at speeds much faster than the average gaited horse.. All done barefoot and/or with Epics on front - and a LOT of patience).... I took the Chestnut on the country rode with my daughter and her 'Rackin' up a storm' Pony.. Pushed the Chestnut up to her highest speed in gait (not even medium rack speed for the pony) and refused to let her move up to her trot.. Periodically, I got my daughter to pass us in Medium speed - and Ginger HATES to be passed by that pony!! So she'd increase speed - but I wouldn't allow her to break gait... We did about 4 miles yesterday.. Do it again today (but my daughter, Katie will ride Ginger - I'll ride my Fino...Katie HATES to bounce, so I know she'll keep her in a 'smooth gait')...

Might take me until Sept. But the Ginger's much more strongly gaited than Hope was, and I figured out how to do it with Hope - so I know I can do it with Ginger!!  There WON'T be ANY trotting tolerated at BSF - though it may look real funny - with 'trail plates' on the front and Epics on the rear.... Guess I'll just be doing another 50 this year.. Don't think she'll be ready to do a hundred 'in gait' for at least another year... Even though she's a pretty hardened 50 miler...

And I'M NOT riding a TROT for a hundred miles - period! Can't physically handle it anymore!

- LP