[RC] Welfare - Bruce Weary

Hi Don--
I appreciate many of the points you make, Don, but I think I may have miscommunicated a bit. When I was referring to removing the stigma, and thereby, reluctance, to post- ride treatment, I was primarily referring to those riders who find themselves with a sick horse but no discernible reason (such as overriding) that can be blamed as the cause. If a rider is less motivated to recognize the problem in the first place ( how many of us have ridden our horse trying to convince ourselves that he wasn't lame, only to find out at the vet check that he is) and doesn't feel that he was ridden hard, and is self-conscious of the stares from some uncaring riders, he may choose to avoid treatment, and possibly disaster strikes.
Our sport contains a small sector of talented, dedicated riders who train hard, keep their horses sound, and can safely compete at speeds that would make many of us uncomfortable. John Crandall is one that comes to mind. He won and BC'd the Tevis, OD and the National Championship 100 all in the same year on the same horse. He is truly an accomplished horseman who has done his homework. If he were to ride Heraldic in another endurance ride in the front of the pack, but through some unfortunate circumstance the horse became ill and unable to continue, should we presume that the horse was overridden? My point is that "overridden" is a relative term based on the talent, experience, training, and fitness of each horse. What can kill one horse can be a championship effort for another. The horses we see that die at rides are, far and away, ridden within reasonable limits. The hard riding, leather slapping, foamed up, drop dead at the finish line scenario is rare, but probably very memorable because of the emotionality involved for those who witness it.
AERC has always taken the stance that the horse is the sole responsibility of the rider, and that the vets are there to help us get safely through. How many times have we heard those very words spoken at ride meetings? There can be no credible confusion over that. My position is that however a horse finds itself in physical distress before during or after a ride, the vital treatment he needs must not be delayed solely because his rider is either ignorant of the signs and symptoms of physiological crisis, or because he has a social fear of judgment (either real or imagined) when his horse is seen undergoing possibly heroic veterinary care. If the horse was truly and inhumanely overridden, that issue can be dealt with later through one of many mechanisms in place in our organization. Let's "Treat first and ask questions later."
I know that you are one who pays attention, Don. I don't worry about you. Bruce