RE: [RC] Santa Fe ride will aerc pull sanction - heidi

From all accounts that I have heard and read, the aspect of qualifying for this ride is doing exactly what one would want it to do--weed out the sorts of riders you mention, and give some experience to those who actually have done their homework and are trying hard to do things right.  From what I've heard, most of the riders have fit the latter category.  Experienced riders appear to have done a good job in trying to mentor many of these riders--and that's terrific.

If there are "non-distance riders" who truly want to become distance riders, they have to start somewhere--and indeed, the GSFTR has caught the interest of some people who may just go ahead and become distance riders.  We encounter the same sorts of people at "regular" rides all the time--just not quite as many eggs in one basket. Quite frankly, I'm just glad they have a qualification--that helps to separate the "potential distance riders" from those who aren't gonna be distance riders in a one-day 50 setting, where it is much easier to do.

Heidi

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [RC]   Santa Fe ride will aerc pull sanction
From: "Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS" <Kate.Kearby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, June 19, 2007 10:49 am
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Seems I’m hearing ugly stories of attemps of ‘non-distance riders’ to complete 50s come heck or hi-water’ to qualify for this ride.  This again giving endurance a bad name… double the usual number of 50 riders most having never done any distance before, not even ready for the 25s and arguing with the vets to continue when their horse shouldn’t..  seems to me a ride in oklahoma about 20 years ago was once sanctioned by aerc, when aerc found out some issues with the ride they pulled sanction, the ‘run for the money’ boys still rode and the first of 12 horses dropped dead at 9 miles.  How do you / we fix it and take care of the horses?  How do we keep a endurance and distance riding a clean sport before the horses get hurt?

Kate kearby

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=