From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 7:12 PM
To: dodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'Dawn Carrie'; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; 'Truman Prevatt'; 'Jim Holland'
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] May 2007 Veterinary newsletter

In my experience, the majority of riders DO pull their horses under such circumstances.  And that's what the RO-L and RO-M codes are all about.  If the horse is A-#1 ok and you just have a bad hair day, that's an RO.  If you know in your gut there is a problem but the vet didn't pull him and you do, that's an RO-L or an RO-M.

I've never been able to fathom what all of the confusion is about.

I've got some wrong codes on my record, too--I know I have one (can't remember if it is listed as RO or RO-L) that should just flat be an L code.  Sure, I opted to pull him--he was just fine at the vet check, and I rode out a couple of miles and he whacked himself high on a front flexor tendon negotiating a bad bit of footing.  We walked a bit to see if it was something that would warm out, and then I popped off and looked--and nope, there was a goose-egg starting up at the site of injury.  Wished afterward that I hadn't had DIMR and walked another half mile as a "diagnostic" because it made it just that much further back to camp.  Walked back to camp and handed in my card, and said, "He's lame."  Vet should have checked him but didn't--just took my word for it.  (Granted, he knew that I would know if my horse was lame).  But the fact is, he was grade 3-4 lame by that time, and all I cared about was getting some ice on it and getting an antiinflamatory into him to prevent permanent damage.  Doesn't matter that I voluntarily came back to camp instead of going on around a 15-mile loop--my buddy was lame, lame, lame.  And hence that should have been an L code.  Period.

And no, it isn't about negotiation--it is about record-keeping.  Good ride vets may "negotiate" with the sort of verbiage that Jim describes--but if they would have pulled the horse anyway, then it's an L or an M code.  (Or an SF, if that's what it is.  I was really glad to see that one added, because it is real, and horses pulled due to lacerations or tack galls often do not fit the L code.)

Heidi

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=