Re: [RC] [RC] Cost of Hay - Energy - Elizabeth Funderburk

Hey, you got me to wondering, so I googled kudzu horse feed and found out that horses apparently can eat kudzu.

Apparently it's hard to make decent hay from it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu#Animal_Feed

Scroll on down to the very bottom of this page, then look for #8:
http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/an_sci/extension/horse/recover.htm
It says, "Limited availability of traditional horse hays may necessitate feeding non-traditional forage sources. Horses can effectively graze kudzu, which is similar in protein and energy to immature graze hay. Overgrazing and destruction of the kudzu is encouraged."

Other than those two, I couldn't find any more detailed info about the nutritional quality of green kudzu or kudzu hay.

-Elizabeth