Re: [RC] Dealing with Race Brain - Truman Prevatt

When back in 96 my wife did a few rides on her new horse, the Jbird, things were fine. She started out slow and while he was sometimes excitable - he was fine. Then one ride in Nov the front runners made a bad turn less than a half mile out of camp. She was going out at the end but all of a sudden the were up front. The front runners come storming by after then figured it out and the Jbird's brain fried. That was it. He only settled after he got tired. They did finish but it wasn't the most pleasant ride in her life.

I had just retired my mare to breed and the horse I had at the time was just not going to make an endurance horse. She offered for me to ride the Jbird since even on a training ride - his brain had turned to mush. My first ride on him was Jan 97. It was a ride in S Florida when it was brutally hot. We were sponsoring a friends junior since he could not be there. He was a basket case at the start - but the heat calmed him down.

Up until last summer - he would be a pill at the start. I learned to deal with it by choosing when I left camp and it was not always last. Sometimes tucked away nicely in the middle is better than the end. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes letting them stretch out a little in the beginning (assuming they are well warmed up) makes it easier to back off. At the Shore to Shore last summer he was pretty good. He wanted to go but he wasn't snorting fire. I think that had to do with we went out the first day with my wife (my wife normally WILL NOT ride with me) and the two pasture mates were content to be together not concerned with the other horses. Then when the Jbird figured out he wouldn't see his trailer till he was finished it seemed to have an impact on his brain. Or it could also have been he was 18 years old.

He still wants to go but the rage to catch the next horse is not as intense. Yes he wants to but no within a nanosecond. Maybe I cater to him a little more - letting him go some and backing off a little, letting him go some and backing off, etc. But as of last year he had become a pleasure to ride. Not that he wasn't a pleasure prior, sometimes he was but not all the time.

Is it completely gone? Well there is one ride in South GA where he has a spot in a hay field about a mile and 1/2 out of camp where I suspect when we go this year he will be so frustrated with me holding him back he will throw in a buck - the only time he has ever bucked is at this spot has done it every time I have ridden there. I expect he will do it again.

I think how long it takes to deal with the "race brain" is a function of a lot of things - the personality of the horse playing a big role.

GP at the Fish Creek House wrote:
Dawn, your story sounds alot like mine with my thorughbred mare. She has been earning lots of circles and halts too :) How long did/does the process take for you guys?

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics