Re: [RC] [RC] Dealing with race-brain - pat holsebeke

Hi all. This was a great suggestion and I plan on
using it. My biggest fear was that while on a ride I
would be taken by suprise with some unsuspecting rider
just innocently trying to pass and the monster would
instantly emerge as it did by surprise on our last
ride. Thank God the very kind lady dropped back and
let the monster lead to the end of the ride. I was
nervous about the competion to begin with and not
thinking clearly or I would have done just what you
suggested got off and walked. Unfortunately I was too
busy trying my best not to get bucked off while trying
to stop him as he ran down the horse infront of us and
let him have his way. Now I know what to expect and
will be able to keep an eye out for riders coming from
behind. I haved learned alot from this horse, infact a
whole lot. I will win over the beast and we will be
friends. Thanks again. pattie
--- Dawn Carrie <rdcarrie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Great article, Karen!  The riding alone is what
worked for me and my current
horse.  He just had to learn that if acted like a
lunatic and didn't listen,
he got pulled up and everyone went on without him.
Then we rode at a
walk until he was being nice and relaxed, and only
then did we pick up a
trot.  Of course, at first he would jig, bounce, and
try to canter in
place rather than walk, which earned him circles and
halts; didn't take him
long to realize that a good flat walk let him
continue forward motion.  If
we happened to catch up to other riders on the trail
during the day, we
passed them if they were going slower than us, or if
they had just stopped
to adjust tack or something and then were going to
move out faster than us,
we walked until they were gone on ahead, then moved
back into a trot.  Now
he can behave at a ride, and is rewarded by being
allowed to move out with
the "pack."

Dawn Carrie
and Bear (*sigh*...it would've been more fun to go
fast!)

On 6/14/07, Dream Weaver <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx>