Re: [RC] [RC] Dealing with race-brain - Dawn Carrie

Great article, Karen!  The riding alone is what worked for me and my current horse.  He just had to learn that if acted like a lunatic and didn't listen, he got pulled up and everyone went on without him.  Then we rode at a walk until he was being nice and relaxed, and only then did we pick up a trot.  Of course, at first he would jig, bounce, and try to canter in place rather than walk, which earned him circles and halts; didn't take him long to realize that a good flat walk let him continue forward motion.  If we happened to catch up to other riders on the trail during the day, we passed them if they were going slower than us, or if they had just stopped to adjust tack or something and then were going to move out faster than us, we walked until they were gone on ahead, then moved back into a trot.  Now he can behave at a ride, and is rewarded by being allowed to move out with the "pack."

Dawn Carrie
and Bear (*sigh*...it would've been more fun to go fast!)