Re: [RC] [RC] Cost of hay - SandyDSA

This is true - ethanol is barely energy neutral; fuel efficiency is lower, and so you have to BU MORE. Since corn is a subsidized crop in this country guess what? Corn growers can SELL MORE CORN - and get  better prices for it! BTW, the government ALSO likes ethanol because it likes to subsidize (read, control and manipulate) the corn production. We are not talking mom and pop farmers here - we are talking about megacorps that own the fields, the rights and the government officials that make this happen.

The effect of the idiotic system of becoming "energy self sufficient" is that we pay a lot more for a lot less, and in the end are no more self sufficient than we were before. People out here are paying $3.29 to $3.89 for gas - but about 2 hours south east it is $3.01!! So....since the market is manipulated to serve the greed of the oil companies, I wonder how we will be able to undo this mess. It makes it really hard to go to many rides when you feel that you have to combine trips before you just drive into town. You know, the cost of going to a ride has about tripled in the past 78-8 years, yet the ride itself is still one of the best bargains in horse-dom. But the necessary extraneous costs such as feed and gas (rather intertwined at some level) makes it so much more expensive to go to very many. You almost have to add a budget line item in your household budget for just the GAS to go to a ride. Anyone have any idea about how the hybrid (iffy) market might EVER turn into a hybrid truck with the muscle to pull a 4 horse rig?
. The government likes ethanol because the delivery system is in place, via the existing oil companies, so it can be taxed and monitored without difficulty.  If I were power hungry enough to want to be president, I'd build a nuke plant every 100 miles, and reprocess the rods just like the rest of the world does, instead of throwing them away and having tons of radioactivity to deal with instead of pounds.  Maybe I'd better go pet my horse (who's value is now about $200, until they close the last of the slaughter plants).

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com

See what's free at AOL.com.