Re: [RC] Shoot the horse (was: Spinal Arthritis) - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Over the years, all 57 of them, I have seen so many
horses suffer needlessly due to human intervention.
Many humans are under the impression that they have to
try and 'save' an animal even if it drives them into
bankruptcy to try.  Now, how silly is that?

Kat, has presented sage old advice here.  It is
something that our equines, in particular, expect of
us.  They expect that we will 'do the right thing' as
their herd mates would do for them - if in the wild!
Often the kindest thing that we can do for our equines
may seem to be the harshest of answers.
Unfortunately, that is so in every aspect of life!

When I have a client and their horse on board, at a
vet or medical clinic, for evaluation.  The staff is
informed, ahead of time, what the financial realities
are for this client.  What does this do?  It provides
an appropriate avenue of presentation, based on the
clients ability to pay, in a manner that is best
suited, not only for the client but for the horse as
well.  Without the 'embrassment' of where does the
money come to pay this. It also provides the staff the
ability to put their time and resources where they can
best be utilized.

I was recently at UC Davis with a client and it's
horse.  There was ONE Vet to serve triple the amount
of clients (clerical error in scheduling - two vets
were off site that day).  So, do you think this Vet
was not appreciative to know that it was a 'basic'
exam and NO HEROICS, because the client did NOT have
the ability to pay for such.  It gave the Vet the
ability to quickly assess the needs for the horse,
give the client their options, with cost factures
upfront.  Rather than let's just keep running the tab
until we get to the bottom on this!  And believe me
that happens!

So, final analysis, you do what is right for the
equine and not what makes your heart feel better.
More than likely the two are incompatible.  However,
in the long run, your heart can and will feel better
that you did right by your equine.  Not allowing
emotional chaos to interfer good judgement is always,
and ultimately,good for the heart.

Thank you, Kat, as always, the level headed one!

D'Arcy

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx