RE: [RC] [RC] Ride temper - training? - Nikki McCormack

Hi Ranelle,

Thanks for your response.  Some others have suggested that Cody is suffering anxiety of some sort.  I think part of it may be his protectiveness of his pasture mate.  We ride them together and I wonder if it is not some sort of need he feels to defend the other horse or perhaps to defend his standing with the other horse.  Regardless, I want to stop it before he does decide to act on it.  I have several weeks before the next ride to try things out, so maybe I will start by trying to collect him or ask for a different gait or something to distract him.  If that does not work, I might have to try a more aggressive approach.  He is doing so good and seems to really enjoy himself on the trail, but he does get uptight when other horses are close.  Anyway, I would be interested in more information on disengaging his hind end.  I have tried that a few times, but I really don't think I am cueing him correctly.  I do have some formal training, but there is still a lot I have not learned.

Thanks,
Nikki

AERC M33800 / PNER 3782 / NSS 44146