Re: [RC] renegade hoof boots - Jo Anne Rudolph

I contacted the guy who makes Renegades, Kurt.  He said I had to have my horse trimmed by a barefoot trimmer so the feet were the right shape, and had to buy the boots from that person, Kurt would not sell them direct. Kurt said they were $169 + shipping. He gave me the name of a guy "in my area", (actually he's 2 hrs away.) I called that guy, who charges $50 to trim. He does not shoe. In my opinion, shoers are getting too expensive, but they justify their costs by the equipment and inventory they have to have for the job. What kind of equipment and inventory does a trimmer who doesn't shoe carry to justify $50?  Now, this is a pickle.  I've been trimming my own horses feet, maybe not expertly, and using EZ boots.  If I want to use a different boot, I have to pay what I think is an outrageous amount for some dude to come and basically fit my horses feet to a shoe, excuse me, boot. And, will this "shaping" occur in one trimming, or will this go on over several trimmings? And if I have 2 out of 5 horses that fit in a #2, will I have to buy 2 pairs for each horse? At least with EZ boots, I can use the same #2 on each horse (provided I don't have them out at the same time, like riding one and ponying the other). The one aspect I don't know is if the Renegade boots are custom made per horse.  Doesn't sound like they are, if the hoof has to have the right shape. And if I'm riding my horses without shoes sometimes on softer ground, and their pen is "scratchy", and their feet get worn down, is there going to be enough hoof to work with? I guess I can quit griping, give him a call, and see.  Maybe not touch-up their feet in the interim, so there is more there "to shape."
Amy Major <mjr_my@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How can we get these Renegade boots though?  I have been reluctant to buy Epics because of all the posts here and on other sites about how they rub and how hard they are to get on.  I understand the Bares are even harder to get on.

I have a natural barefoot trimmer doing my guy now (thanks to a kind friend's referral) and he is doing great but I would like to have something in case we run into rougher terrain.  Can my trimmer contact Renegade and can we get them through that route?

They sound like a wonderful product and obviously from the info on the website many long distance riders are having great luck with them.