Re: [RC] [RC] race brain horse - Dawn Carrie

My horse Bear thought that rides were the Kentucky Derby, and should be ridden at that speed, preferably passing every other horse.  Basically, I would start out at the rear of the group, but within sight of the other horses.  At each ride, he was given the option of behaving himself.  If he didn't, I pulled him up down to a walk (it wasn't easy...lots of battles), and let all the other horses get out of sight.  Then we walked.  When he would walk on a loose rein, we moved up to a trot.  We did most of our rides by ourselves for about a year.  Fortunately, he's not a horse who gets bored being by himself, and is perfectly happy to go 50 miles and not see another horse except at vet checks.  He got better and better, and learned that if he listened to me and kept his brain engaged, he could move out from the start of the ride.  He's now excited at the start of a ride, but quite controllable and listening to me.

His first ride was an LD, when I'd only had him a few weeks.  All other rides have been 50/55s, 100s, and a 75.  He did one LD last year ridden by a junior.

If you ask a dozen people, you'll get a dozen variations on how to deal with the race-brain issue.  But the worst thing you can do is to give into it.  Moving up to 50s and letting him get tired helps, but in actuality, you then have a very fit 50 mile horse who has race brain.  <G>  And it's really hard to simulate the excitement of a ride anywhere but *at* a ride.

Dawn in East Texas
and Bear (now that I listen, mom lets me go faster)