Re: [RC] horse potty trained itself - Barbara McCrary

We have geldings and they tend to use one spot only.  It's not just a mare thing.  It appears to depend on the individual.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] horse potty trained itself

In general I think mares are tidier, but there are always exceptions and many people will know of one.  ;->  The geldings of my acquaintance are not particular and will drop a load wherever they happen to be standing. The gelding I have now will pee on his own hay but he is 23 yrs. old and we chalk it up to senile moments. Peeing on the mare's hay pile is probably more deliberate.

Feral horse herds will usually choose one spot for the potty area so it doesn't foul the rest of the grazing. They don't linger long in one spot and keep moving throughout their territory. When they re-visit that spot later on the grazing should still be good.

With large enough turnouts and pastures you may note the same thing. I'd guess the gelding you sold was the messy one.

Cris P.
Robinson, IL