[RC] Updates - Old Dominion and The Shining Moon 100 - John Teeter

Angie's batch of photos from OD are online at:

http://www.endurance.net/rides/2007OldDominion/

She and all of the OD folks have provided us with the opportunity to see from afar the experience shared by all those who had the opportunity to go to Fort Valley during last weeks ride. A thank you to all of them for their efforts on behalf of the sport of endurance!

Tonight (well this morning for those of you on the other side of the world:) we few who have the opportunity to participate in the staging of the first ever 100 mile ride in Japan were treated to a view of the past. A view of endurance as told by Hal Hall and Becky Hart! It was such a treat to hear Becky speak of Rio - to watch a 1990 television broadcast of the first World Equestrian Games from Stockholm Sweden and be fortunate enough to have 2 of the finishers of that event in the room with us (as Connie Creech is also here with us in Japan - footnote - this is the second time Connie has had the opportunity to travel abroad - first - Stockholm and now the Shining Moon where she will be an FEI official at the event!)

Then Hal Hall provided us with a view of the horses he has ridden over they years with a focus on their breeding and the charateristics, the conformation, attitude, and athletic abilities he has focused upon during his 37 years of endurance riding. He started from a Quarter Horse and, when he fully dedicated himself to endurance, followed on to a long line of Arabs all the while sharing with others around the world, and particularly in Japan, his knowledge and passion for the sport.

Setting the stage for both Becky and Hal was Dr. Mike Tomlinson. Mike officiates at FEI event is multiple equine disciplines as well as vetting at numerous rides throughout the year. Tonight he spoke of Dressage and Endurance - what it takes to do both - what common ground exists - what differences - and what can be learned from each that will benefit both. His insights, especially in the how we can learn from each other, let well into discussions which followed.

Steph and I are fortunate to be here - to have a fast net link and to help the world see that our love of the horses is a common bond which ties endurance riders around the world togehter. We hope to help the world see how endurance in Japan has evolved over the past 11 years. Hal Hall, Ann Hall, and Bob Sample from Australia will join a field of 17 riders from Japan at the start of this first Shining Moon 100! We look forward to more endurance Japanese style and hope you will also enjoy this experience of a life time!

http://www.endurance.net/international/japan/2007ShiningMoon/ ....

more to come!

john & steph on the road

(p.s. we left Merri behind in Oreana - I think she to Jose out to day to look for eagles or snakes .... )