RE: [RC] Trailer Mounts for Corral Panels - Katrina Mosshammer

Hi Cynthia,

We have carried our panels on the side of our trailer for years. We have 10'
long, 1" thick, aluminum panels that we use. We carried them on our old
trailer, 18 ft calico 3h slant with stock trailer type sides. On that
trailer we had the manufacturer put brackets the brackets on when they built
it. They are 2 inches wide and about 6-8 inches long in the shape of an L.
There is also a angle brace that runs from the middle of the bracket to the
side of the trailer. (We originally had these brackets made for steel cattle
panels that were 2.5-3" thick.) We have 3 brackets on each side. The
brackets are at about eye level so that the panels could sit on the fender
and hang from the brackets. We used bungees and tie downs to keep them
secure. Never worried about scuffing on that trailer.

Our new LQ trailer we did something different. It is a 20' long, 8' wide
Legend trailer, with solid side on LQ and stock widows on horse part. We
have a 19' awning on one side so all the brackets are on one side. After
constantly hitting our heads and the horses heads on the other brackets at
eye level, and because this trailer doesn't really have any fenders we had
the brackets mounted at the top of the trailer. We also couldn't get the
manuf. to do them so we had the guy who built or LQ do it. He used a 1 inch
square tube and then welded the L part on one end and a cross shaped piece
on the other end to attach to the trailer. At first he just had them bolted
on but they started to sag so he we ahead and welded the on too. When we
first started caring them we used to wrap a plastic tarp around the panel
that laid against the trailer to keep it from rubbing and then ran tie-downs
from the brackets to the braces under the trailer to hold them secure. It
only took us a couple of years to figure out a much simpler system.

Now we take our old leg wraps, you know the ones that are 30 years old and
that have been buried in the tack room in some unknown corner where mice and
moths have completely chewed them up so you never ever use them on a horse
anymore, and we will wrap the four corners of the inside panel before we put
it on. The leg wraps are long enough that once you get them all wrapped up
you get close to an inch of clearance from the side of the trailer. Then we
tie our tie down in an X pattern from the bracket to the braces underneath.
This system has worked well for us and we have carried ten panels total
before, although right now we are only carrying 7.

If you want when I go to mom's this weekend I can take some pictures of both
trailers and send them to you. Good luck!

Katrina