Re: [RC] Suspensory injury - advice? - Don Huston

Hello Kris,
Email Tammy Robinson <Trailrite@xxxxxxx>. She had great results with stem cell transplants on her horse. Might be helpful.

At 10:20 AM 6/11/2007 Monday, you wrote:
I have a good friend who's horse tore a distal sesamoidean ligament (part of the suspensory apparatus) in a hind leg several months ago. This is a hot horse that is difficult to keep calm, and initially was more calm on small paddock confinement than in a stall (he will startle easily), but will still jump around from time to time. The owner tried this, and the vet working with her approved it begrudgingly, and with time, he improved, and the vet told her to start riding again (at a walk for a  few minutes every other day) when the latest ultrasound showed 80% improvement. I can't remember exactly what happened, but he reinjured himself during this period and was back to square one. The initial vet offered nothing in the line of alternative treatment (wanted to repeat what had already been done which was basically just Surpass (NSAID cream) and rest.

She sought another vet who uses ShockWave treatment, and she had heard good results from friends. The horse is between his third and fourth treatments, and this vet recommended that, if he can stay calm, she can start taking him on progressively longer daily hand walks (5 min one week, 10 the next, etc) for 3 weeks, and bring him back for another ultrasound. No ultrasound was done at this time, even upon owner request to have one done, but the horse was moved in hand at a walk and in gait and shown to appear sound.

This is now week two, and I was taking care of the herd, including this horse, while she was out of town. Due ot bad communication on both our parts, while i was hand walking him, the owner's husband let their terrier out into the backyard (which shares a fenceline with where i was walking him, and her barking caused the horse to jump and spin. He didn't appear off to me, and continued to walk well. Two days later, though, he's now definitely painful in that leg again. Probably will have an ultrasound done today or tomorrow.

The owner is a wreck, this horse is her equine soulmate. Has anyone out there had a similar injury? As far as treatment, what worked, how long, what level of work was the horse able to return to, if any?

Kris

Don Huston at cox dot net
SanDiego, Calif