[RC] OD Cavalry Award - paul

It was a blast riding Cavalry at the OD.. It is what I thought endurance is
about  when I started. To respond to  a few posts that asked about this, here
goes.

The OD Cavalry Award is like Best Condition.  Just as when if no horse standing
for BC the next morning of a tough 100 is judged sound and fit to continue,
then the Vets may choose to not give a BC award, the same happened in the OD
Cavalry.  The Vets  determined that my horse was off and not fit to continue
and chose not to present a Cavalry Award. His other criteria were fine, but he
was called off enough to not qualify for the award. Unlike most Ld and  50 mile
BC exams which take place an hour after completion, the BC and Cavalry Award
exam took place at 8:00 am. We were off about 4 hours which gave enough time to
tighten up. I know I did.  Another interesting thing about Cavalry is that
even after your ride, even after your completion, you are still mostly in a
Cavalry situation. Nobody could help me with my horse, including feeding,
walking, massage etc. I got some rest between 4:30 am to 7:00am, then got to
get  up and clean him up for presentaion..  Our completion still
stands, just as in a BC situation.  By the way, of the top 10 finishers at this
100 mile OD, only 2 choose to stand for BC in the morning.

The numbers who try each year to ride Cavalry varies between few and none.
Until this morning at 3:26 am, I believe nobody had completed Cavalry since
2002.   In 2002, that was Lynne Gilbert who not only completed, she finished
1st overall  and got BC!  Talk about an achievement.

When we get home and  rested up  I will post a ride story about it. Riding
Cavalry was a special unique and uplifting experience.

Paul N. Sidio
Piper .. Top 10 Old Dominion Horse
Spokane MO