[RC] Mary Wells; update of injuries suffered at American River ride - Lari Shea

With great sadness, I'm conveying information from Jeannie Pepper regarding our mutual friend, Mary Wells, who was injured at the beginning of the American River ride on April 28th.  As I understand it, Mary's very controllable horse slipped on pavement and she suffered a head injury, even though she was wearing a helmet.

Pepper said: "Her current condition is not very good. She suffered a stroke after the original trauma & cannot see. She has some lucid times but often is in her own world. This is so sad.  I think it would be nice if you could post her address & mention that she was injured at American River on April 28th & could use some cards & support from the endurance community. Her friend Stacey said she thought it would do her good to know people were keeping her in their thoughts. Her family is staying optimistic that she'll recover but it's gonna be slow."

Mary Wells
Placerville Pines Care Center, Room 30
1040 Marshell Way
Placerville, Ca 95667

Mary was one of only 11 riders to complete the entire length of the 1976 Great American Horse Race from New York all the way to California.   She has been a tireless supporter and worker on our Northern CA Trails Council for many decades, and is always a cheerful volunteer helper at local endurance and Ride & Tie events.

Lari

"What unites us all is a love of the out-of-doors, a spirit of adventure, and a passion for horses!"

Lari Shea                          http://www.horse-vacation.com
Ricochet Ridge Ranch    707-964-7669 ranch phone
24201 North Highway One 707-964-9669 home office ph/fax
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Riding Vacations on the Mendocino Coast with lodging at unique B&B Inns
                 International Riding Vacations