Re: Fw: [RC] Mountain Bikes and Horses - Getting Along - Sharon Levasseur

We've just started the Maine Equestrian Trail Alliance to try and represent
ourselves the way the ATVers and snowmobilers do.  (Around here the bicyclers
aren't as organized.)  We're still struggling to get off the ground... I'm sure
one of us will keep the group posted.
-Sharon L. in Maine

Quoting Laney Humphrey <laneyhh@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

You make two excellent points, Karen:
1. not all trails are suitable for multi-use
2. horse people need to be as organized and pro-active as the bicycle
community.
laney
Karen Sullivan wrote:

It's wonderful when bikes and horses can safely use the same trails,
work together and get along....

While multi-use trails is an ideal to work toward; the reality is that
some trails are just not
appropriate for multi use.  I have been doing a lot of research on what
constitutes a multi-use trail, and what constitutes a singletrack
footpath..and all sorts of criteria are involved such as narrowness of
trail, grade, sightlines, blind corners, composition of soil, etc.  I
have found many Bay Area regional parks, county parks and National
seashore that restrict mountain bikes to fire roads and wide trails; the
singletrack are left for hikers and horses. Their goal is to ensure the
safety and enjoyment of ALL users...and they have also seen the havoc
wrecked when bikes are added into narrow singletrack trails.....

the IMBA would have you believe that all trails can be multi use....I
graciously admit they have done TONS of work in trail building in parks,
establishing safety rules for bikes and horses and trying to work with
all goups.  I believe they are a more active trail organization than
most in the horse community.  They research on bike damage on trails IS
somewhat slanted....

but the reality is that a huge group of mountain bikers is out there for
the speed and thrill......not caring about other users, OR the damage to
the trail.  IMBA councils bikes on how to negotiage trails on a bike to
minimize damage....but, again, the reality is that RACING bikers DON'T
care, and do pretty extreme damage, especially on switchbacks....

Steve Proe's post may prove very helpful to me at this point, in helping
to develop existing old horse trails in a park this past year...in
determining which should be multi use and which should be singletrack
bke/horse

A case in point, also in Boggs State Demonstration Forest in Cobb, CA.
For years, horses have used the trails and fire roads....until the bikes
found it. In my opinion, most of the singletrack is NOT suitable for
mixing horses and bikes....but the bike community has been so more
visible in developing a volunteer work force, bring in IMBA for work
days,  GPSing trail and doing a new map; WHERE SOME TRAILS ARE STATED
THEY MAY BE TOO STEEP FOR HORSES; that the horseback riders basically
have been run out on weekends; it's just too dangerous to ride there.
Who's fault? Horse community, for not sticking up for their right to
trails.....again, maybe this new ruling at Oroville, and Steve's post
may help someday in reclaining horse trails.....

For many years I have proclaimed myself to be in favor of all multi-use
trails...but experience and common sense may be heading me in another
direction.  Just a few months ago, I was on a single-track trail at Sly
PArk with a friend....I did not know it was multi use....and got dumped
when my horse and a biker came face to face on a blind corner....,my
horse did an exit right and I lost it....fell on my butt....not hurt and
fortunately my horse did not run off into the wilderness!!!  Not the
bikers fault as he was not going fast....not my fault for not exposing
my horse to bikes....just a plain bad corner with bad visibility....and
yes, she could have had a similiar reaction to a hiker or
backpacker....yet not 10 minutes later we had a bike come screeching
around a corner too fast and head down hill, right toward my horse...I
asked him to stop, he skidded several feel..but as my horse could see
him, she just stood!!!!

Will I ride that trail again? Probably not!!!! Just too
dangerous. Another horseback rider giving up a trail due to multi use.....
Karen