[RC] NV Moonshine Ride - Lucy Trumbull

Well, I was going to go take a nap after my three hours
sleep overnight, but having just taken a shower, I might
be good for another half hour, so let's see if I can get this "cliff notes" version of the NV Moonshine ride written.

Complaints:

* I got really wet in the first half mile when it *poured*
with rain. Management should do something about that.
* When the rain abruptly stopped after half a mile, I dried out quickly enough that I didn't get cold and didn't need to change my clothes and, other than adding a sweatshirt when we left on the last loop at midnight, I wasn't able to wear any of the big bag-full of clothing I'd brought with me "just in case". What a waste.
* There was a part on the trail on the middle loop where it was "a bit cool" and I wished I wasn't wearing just a t-shirt (at ~11 pm).
* The moon didn't come up early enough and we were
forced to ride the middle loop in pitch black, which
made us giggle since we couldn't see the whups in the
trail and we had to squeak a lot.
* Because we weren't able to extended-trot that middle
loop, two people overtook us as we were coming in
ruining our chances of top-tenning (we came 19th... *see*!?).
* There wasn't a *single* ribbon on the trail.
* Those 100 blue glo-sticks weren't quite as bright as the
200+ green glo-sticks - next time please use ones that we can see from half a mile away, rather than only a 300 yrds.
* I didn't have to use those EZ boots I brought with me.
Those things are heavy. If I'd known the footing would
have been so perfect in places that I wouldn't need them, I could have left them at home and saved on gas.
* The moon was too low as we left on the third loop and
it shone in our eyes a bit, which reduced our ability to admire the twinkly Reno lights in the distance.
* There were too many water troughs/ponds and we all
know Roo must stop at all of them to replenish, so it
limited our forward progress.
* My horse wasn't tired enough at the end, so he pulled
on me and wouldn't slow down.
* My horse got loose after the ride and came wandering
over to the PnR area where we were hanging out afterwards.
He seemed to want to see if there was any more of that yummy hay. Please provide less food next time, so he's not tempted to escape.
* The ride awards of collapsible buckets/scoops are too
useful and I'd just gotten around to training my horse to
trot with a plastic milk-jug bopping on his flank, and now
I won't need to. What a waste.
* Breakfast was too yummy and I had to have three courses
(pancakes, b'fast burritos, yogurt) and now I'll get fat.

Many thanks to Crysta Turnage and (seemingly) her entire family, plus the usual suspects that help out at NV rides for their perseverance and patience sitting up waiting for us all night. You all made it possible for us to have a really unique and wonderful experience in the moonlit NV desert that is
shared by few people.

(started at 7 pm, finished at 3:15 am - yay!)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California