[RC] Bit rubs - need advice - Don Huston

Hello Rhonda,
It's probably not an allergy, just sensitive "pink" skin. Here in sunny San Diego some folks have to keep fly masks and sunscreen on their horse's face 24/7 to prevent sunburn. Their horses never seem to "tan" or get tougher skin around the muzzle and this may be the boat your horse is in :-(. I think getting a bit that stays completely off her face might be best even if it's not your preferred bit type. A grazing bit like this http://www.rods.com/p/502,233_Sweet-Iron-Grazing-Bit.html is what I use with a leather headstall. The one-piece bit will not pinch and holds the leather away from the side of the muzzle. The side loops on the bit (that attach to the headstall) can be bent sideways (see pictures attached) so that only the headstall touches the horse's cheeks up high away from the muzzle. The only time there will be muzzle contact is when you pull on one reign more than the other hard enough to twist the bit to the side. Your horse will be able to work her mouth, shake her head and trot without any constant rubbing against the muzzle especially if she learns to "carry the bit" herself. I always keep the chinstrap loose enough that the bit will drop out of the horses mouth. A loose strap also allows the horse a little time to respond to my hand movements before I'm forced to apply enough pressure to bring the strap into play. Sometimes I have to muscle my horse around but I find that if I continually give him just a second to respond to a bit command (like pulling back for a stop) he learns to do it at the slightest pull......sometimes. :-[ Good luck with your "pink" lady,
Don Huston