[RC] Refusing Entry - Bruce Weary DC

Let's be careful regarding speculating about the diagnoses leading to bad behavior. There are few people, and they are professionals, that are qualified to do so. The good news is that we don't need to understand the psyche of someone and grope for an explanation of their behavior. Rules are rules, and they cut through the rationales that attempt to explain/rationalize/excuse inexcusable behavior. The prisons are full of "innocent" people. Just ask the residents.
Designing new rules and/or enforcing existing ones that demand appropriate behavior at rides are the way to go. There are appeals and protest processes that allow for real or perceived unfairness to be addressed. Tantrums aren't on that list. Perhaps a temporary suspension of their AERC membership, where they may ride only as a non-member and gain no points is a place to start. Allowing ride managers the ability to "reserve the right to refuse service" to anyone. Mandatory counseling with a mentor might work. Serving as a ride secretary to management or the vet might be recommended for such offenders. Formally documenting the egregious behavior is the way to start, and our members need to act when that moment arrives. Capturing the behavior on a digital recorder, a video camera, even a photo on a cell phone showing angry behavior would eviscerate their ability to claim that they are an innocent victim, caught in the trap of a long-distance riding conspiracy against them.
It feels good to vent about this, I know, but we have rules and a civilized way of dealing with this sort of thing. Let's let the process work. We may solve some potential future problems by dealing with this one effectively. So let's document the behavior when it occurs, and go to work. As that great wise man, Ricky Ricardo said, "No more 'scuses." Dr Q