Date: 6/4/2007 10:23:24 AM
Subject: [RC] bit alternatives

Hi,
I have a 5-year old green-broke arab.  he's spunky but not particularly bad, a little spooky at times.  I am looking for advice on bit-alternatives: bosals, vosal, bitless, sidepull, hacks.  he doesn't like a bit, just not totally comfortable, he opens his mouth a lot, and pushes against it with his tongue, however, no head tossing, and he's sensitive to seat pressure and voice commands.  He has a tongue deformity, I have had his teeth checked, he's normal otherwise (well, as normal as a 5-yo arab can be!!).
ANY advice is appreciated, please include what you use, how it is designed to work, what settings you use it in, and relatively how it steers (he does NOT neck rein), brakes and the pain factor relative to a bit.  Please keep this to horses that were trained with a bit and have made the switch to bitless.
thanks,
Moriah