Re: [RC] Marathon training - FXLivestock

Thanks for posting this article to the list.  There are a lot of similarities in training regimes between human athletes and equine athletes.  One thing that is emphasized in this article that is definitely similar between humans and horses is the level/hours/miles of training for the desired goal.

I think that marathons and ultra runs are the closest thing endurance riding has to a human sport.  It is not just because these are all distance/endurance competition but because in marathons and ultra runs "completion" is a worthy goal and accomplishment.  Just like in endurance, most of the human competitors have a "to finish is to win" mentality or are trying to set personal bests and have no expectation to come in first.  There are very few sports where "winning" isn't the only thing.

There is so much information on distance competition for the human athlete that is readily available and is applicable to our horses. Some of this material is for the elite athlete and a  huge majority is for the runner or cyclist that just wants to finish a marathon or a century ride. If one can learn and understand some of the training theory for distance running/cycling, it isn't too hard use this information in our sport.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648