RE: [RC] [RC] How Did You Find Your Soul (Endurance) Horse - Juli Jakub

Beverly,
I have to agree with Frank and Bruce. There is something indefinable about the way I choose my horses. Usually they find me as opposed to me seeking them out. I have not done endurance but I have bought horses for other high performance and high level disciplines. I just get a feel when things are right, and honestly for that feeling I will overlook alot of minor flaws. I found my filly when I was looking for a horse for a student of mine. I was not looking for another horse! But I saw her picture on Dreamhorse when I was dawdling around and even her picture connected. It was not even that great of a picture...but something about her. When I went and looked she came galloping down a steep hill slid to a stop inches from the fence and looked me straight in the eye...honestly she was sold at that moment. I did not even vet her...she was a yearling and I loved her at first sight and that was that. She just turned five and is going through an accident prone stage but she is everything I would have wanted if I had been carefully researching and had made a list of what I needed. Measurements, height, color, conformation, all this is important but I look for heart most of all and that is harder to define. My high level eventer was a horse no one wanted as a four year old....dangerous, brainless, too small were some of the words used to describe her. But she was in my price range so I went to look. She reared, pranced, tried to run with me when I tried her over a jump...then tried to drag me to jump the next fence! I got off and I remember the moment when this wild mare looked me in the eye, sighed, and layed her chin on my shoulder. I bought her despite warnings that she was useless and didn't have the talent or size for high level eventing. She carried me through Intermediate level with honesty and gusto and would have gone Advanced except I decided that would be asking too much of her...but in her heart she would have done it. SO look for all those tangibles but also remember to look for the intangible too.
Juli

<P>Juli Jakub</P>
<P>The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.</P>
<P>~ arabian proverb</P></DIV></html>

Catch suspicious messages before you open them?with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507