From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Kristen A Fisher
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:35 PM
To: suendavid@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] rider weight studies, part 1

I finally had the time to read these posts in detail and have a few questions/speculations.

Would it be fair to say that the parameters below for Tevis could be extrapolated to 50s or even pleasure riding? Eg, if a horse/rider under a combined 1200# can finish a 100 mile ride and be fit top= continue, wouldn't you say that in a 50 mile ride or a pleasure ride, the same would be true? Just because of the lesser exertion on the team.

If that is so, then why do I keep hearing a LOT of people bandy about the 20% rider weight "rule"? Even Deb Bennett recently stated in Equus Mar 2007 that "when the [rider weight] percentage rises to 20 extra care must be taken." She does go on to say that conformation and bone structure also matter - but has IMO nonetheless perpetuated the 20% rule/myth/whatever.

Maybe it's just one of those old "rules of thumb" that people can't let go?

Kristen

The original rule of thumb came, I believe, from the US Cavalry, where they were looking at functional longevity of equipment (the horses) in the hands of rider recruits of varying skill levels, many of the "plowboys" just off the farm with no equitation skills at all.
--

 Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
 http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/