Re: [RC] refusing entry - Truman Prevatt

Beth Walker wrote:
I don't think you have to put up with them, but you may have to do some prep work. Get the incidents documented and take it to the AERC board. Use rule 4.1.3 (from Jonni) to refuse them entry to your ride.

/4.1.3 Abusive harassment of ride personnel, other riders or crews,/
/such as arguing with the veterinarians, breaking the line at vet/
/gates, or deliberately blocking other riders on the trail./

While Truman has a point, I think that "abusive harassment" includes more than physical force or threats. The rule itself includes "arguing with the veterinarians". I think screaming and yelling at ride management also qualifies. Cars honking behind horses sounds out of bounds to me. If veterinarians, volunteers or other riders are complaining about these two, have them put their complaint in writing to help you document the problem.
Honking behind horses - IMO does cross the line. Excessive arguing with vets does cross the line. However, if the wrong precedent is set - even the asking of a question or requesting a second opinion might go as considered arguing in the future. I'm not sure yelling at ride management is more of just being a jerk unless there is more to it.

However, the riders in question can sure file a protest and for the protest not to stand up - the ride managers will have to have valid documentation with witnesses to all the incidents and the incidents will have to show a pattern of abusive behavior that rises the level as set forth in rule 4.1.3 and such as "blocking other riders on the trail" sets a pretty high level.

Truman

It would be a shame to have rides shut down which bring enjoyment to dozens of people because of a couple of bad apples.

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics